Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rock Passion

I'm writing this post for a couple of reasons, the major two being I'm bored at work and need some kind of entertainment and the secondary one is I wanted to take a moment to write about the revelatory joys of teaching someone a passion. My roommate Ben (after much persuasion and cries of I'm scared of heights!) has just decided to take up climbing (SWEET!) and is taking to it like a fish to water. I took him bouldering yesterday and except for the few classic newbie things that happened he seemed to really enjoy it. In fact he even took a pretty highball fall and shook it right off and bounced back on the rocks. I gave a few pointers and other than that he seems to be pulling at the reins to keep trying other problems. Watching someone discover the joy that comes with a new hobby or sport especially one like climbing gives a great perspective into your own climbing. Along with the inevitable ebs and flows its awesome to be with someone whose so excited to be doing it that it doesn't matter if it's a V0 or a V25 that they're sending, they're just happy to be out. Reminds me of the importance of process, as the lonely climber meditating on top of their spire would say.
Stereo-Ben Harper-Burn One Down

No comments:

Post a Comment