Monday, October 5, 2009

Still in Denver, and a new passion and a review!

So, no, I haven't finished the Alaska photos yet. I swear I'll get to them and it will be a total photog TR and it'll be awesome, but as for the last few weeks I A)haven't had the time, and B) have been way too exhausted to do much else but relax when I wasn't out blowing off some steam.
Super long story short, I'm starting a new job in a few hours which I am stoked about. I'm going to be working up at Bent Gate Mountaineering in Golden, which should, while providing me with a killer ski season unlike moving to LA would have, also be a pretty fun job. Advice from various people about how to fully take advantage of my gear situation has already been rolling in. I figure I'm going to work at doing a good job before I start milking the benefits (not that that won't come).
Other than that, I managed to pick up a new (read:expensive) hobby recently. SINGLETRACKS! This all stems from me finding a smoking deal on an awesome full suspension Mountain Bike. Salvagetti(phenomenal cycling shop, highly reccomended to anyone in the Denver metro area) was selling off their demo fleet and I managed to pick up a Giant Trance X2.


I've had some time to make my aquaintance of this bike so I figured I'd do a review of it. The bike comes with 5" of travel, clocks in at 29 pounds, comes with a full rear and front Fox suspension system and a shimano drive train. I've attached Shimano SPD clipless pedals to it, and have a set of WTB Trail 27 mm tires on it but other than that am using the kit as it comes new. This bike rips. It's just light enough that it climbs well, but just heavy enough that it wants to crush anything on the downhill in it's path. For a relatively novice mountain biker, this bike is confidence inspiring on downhills in a way that make speed feel much more comfortable. Which is a good thing because this bike wants to go fast. Taking rock drops, the suspension is good enough that it tends to cushion almost anything but the worst blows, and I've never had an issue with the tail washing out on tight turns or rocks except when I was off balance (once again, novice biker).
The disc brakes have phenomenal control and tightness, even though the back brake has a tendency to be a little noisy on some steeper stuff. The travel in the suspension makes it want to grind up larger obstacles with ease, even though myself as the rider might not have the ability to take it just right yet. I went to Lair O' The Bear yesterday and coming down a section with a serious of drops, the bike just stomped it. Straight over, no balance issue, yeehaw. On gliding rolling terrain, the best way I can describe how this bike navigates, is float. It wants to go fast and it takes curves like a formula 1 racer. All and all I am stoked about this bike and it comes with the highest of reccomendations especially for someone just starting out on the trail. This bike inspires the confidence you need to make you want to push yourself and grow
Stereo: Pete Kartsounes- Old Bluegrass home

No comments:

Post a Comment