Friday, June 12, 2009

Toppin' Out

Rough week. And I mean really rough week at work. I have no intention of getting uber sappy and venting my primordial angst of my job on this website as that is exactly NOT why I started this blog. I want to meditate instead on the relieving pressure of rock on hands, of hitting a hold that you missed last time, of topping out a bouldering problem that scared you so much last time that you got half way up and then came down. It's amazing how a modicum of tunnel vision and fear coupled with a few solid deep breaths, can wipe away a seemingly city full of negativity. Perhaps this is where the void is, this is why one risks the Big Splat and finds themselves with no rope 15 feet up on a cliff face with nothing but rock beneath them and adrenaline coursing oxygen to their muscles. All the minor cares seem to fade away as one thought remains, "Will my fingers hold this rock or am I going to break my leg?" It's a zen feeling putting yourself towards that moment, and then, even when fear is gripping you, to push through and still move up, to that moment where the problem disappears and you find yourself on top of your nemesis/lover/guru.
I can find no photo that defines this moment of clarity in my photography collection, so I leave you with a thousand words instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment