Sunday, June 7, 2009

Teva Mountain Games Vail, CO


Paul Robinson at the World Bouldering Cup (with some Photoshop love)

Not too terribly much to report here, ski season has decidedly and unceremoniously came itself to a close. I'm actually rather doubting that I'll boost up one more day to make 70 instead of 69. I'm sure that I could but between the lack of snow left up high, a trip to Vail proved that for sure, and how stoked on climbing I've found myself recently, it's kinda doubtful it'll happen. Strange, I guess I appreciate seasons more than I would have thought!
Anyways, other than working on my lead climbing skills and slowly getting my strength back, Mel and I took off to go watch the Teva Mountain Games up in Vail this weekend. Teva and Vail Valley throw this huge three day party that essentially celebrates the mountains in the summer time. It's pretty damn cool and an amazing reminder of all the joy and love that the mountains bring into your life. We went up Friday night with the intention of watching the Bouldering World Cup finals the next day and then staying Saturday night. We ended up coming back after the World Cup on Saturday due to the fact that the place we were staying was more similar to a frat house than anything else (last time I'll let Jason make the accomodations) and that we wanted to go get some routes in in Golden today.

Alex "Pooch" going for a hold at the cup

The climbing was awesome to watch and earlier in the week I had been roped in to participating in the Mud Run (2 miles ish with a 100 yard sprint through an obstacle course filled with sticky gooey mud) with Mike and Ben. I'll let the pictures speak from here. The next list of pictures below were all taken by Melissa Walker

first lap through the mud!

second time around!

L to R, Ben, Mike, and a rare picture of yours truly covered in mud


the carnage remains even after the battle is done!

It was a really good time and I'm being told is being developed into a tradition. So all I have to say is man, running was actually way more fun than I remembered it! Climbing today was so so as we got rained off after about 3 routes in. I flashed a climb I'd never been on before on lead so I felt pretty good about that even though I definetly didn't do it in the most graceful of manners. All in good time, so here's a picture that I took of Mel and Mary Jane enjoying the Vail sunshine to round this post off.


On the Stereo-The Kooks (pretty much anything off the new album)

No comments:

Post a Comment